Mike Stone <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 15 Apr 2010 10:17:54 -0500
I join with all of you in condolence.  The only immortality is in others'
remembering.  Ms. Carter and Mr. Holbrook have so many friends out here that
the memories will be long and always soothing.  Let me add mine.  I couldn't
have been more than 10 or 11 when my brother brought home to us in Illinois
a record of "Mark Twain Tonight!"  The whole family remained convulsed in
laughter for the duration, the kind of laughter that hurts but can't be
stopped on any account.  I still hear snatches of that recording as if
whispered in my ear this morning, though it was fifty years ago.  So began
my love affair with Twain, and with his incomparable alter ego.  That's the
thing about immortality: half the time, I can't remember which man is which.

Michel L. Stone

STONE & SUTTON, P.A.

116 East Fourth Street

Panama City, Florida 32401