From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 2012 13:35:08 -0600
Then google's psychic advertisers won't like what I'm going to say...

Twain first returned from the dead in 1915 when he helped a woman named Ida
Belle White write a book published in Kansas City, Missouri called SPIRITS
DO RETURN.  It's a scarce book, and holds a place of honor on my shelf of
"Mark Twain Hogwash" (inspired by Twain's own "library of literary
hogwash.").  Twain next came back from the dead to help Emily Grant
Hutchings write her book, JAP HERRON. She approached Harper Brothers in 1916
and they declined to publish it, so she got it published by Mitchell
Kennerley in 1917, and Harper got an injunction against Kennerley for use of
the Mark Twain trademarked name and image. Kennerley recalled in 1940 that
he didn't put up a fight and claimed that only a handful of copies had been
sold and that all unsold copies were destroyed. Kennerley editions usually
ran 400 to 1,000 copies, and way too many copies of that book survive for
Kennerley's account to be true, but Kennerley was not known for his
truth-telling. A Columbia professor named James Hyslop (gotta love that
name!) studied the psychics who promoted JAP HERRON and published a book
with a chapter about it in 1919 called CONTACT WITH THE OTHER WORLD. He also
wrote an article later that year called `Cross Reference Experiments from
Mark Twain' with further details. Hyslop was a serious fellow and his
accounts are unintentionally hilarious --the best kind of hilarious, I
think. This was all during a time when talking to the dead was experiencing
a sort of revival, perhaps triggered the trauma of the First Wolrd War, and
people like Arthur Conan Doyle were among the faithful being fleeced by con
artists who produced "photographic evidence" of faires and spirits of the
dead. Twain then kept his mouth shut for about fifty years until he decided
to help Mildred Burris Swanson write her 1968 book, GOD BLESS U DAUGHTER,
published in Independence, Missouri. Swanson's book is a sad case,
apparently triggered by several deaths in Swanson's family and a business
failure. Independence is a very short drive from Kansas City, so there must
be something in the water (if you live in that area you might want to
restrict your beverages to cocktails favored by Mark Twain). It's worth
mentioning that all of these books involved ouija boards, so google
advertisers who sell ouija boards might take note. But I must give fair
warning to potential purchasers of ouija boards that if Mark Twain should
speak to you from the astral plane and you publish a book about it, your own
bound babblings will join those of Ida, Emily, Mildred, Hyslop (and a few
others who shall remain nameless) on my shelf of Mark Twain Hogwash.

If Mark Twain has nothing better to do with his time in the afterlife he
needs to get a death..

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books