From:
Lawrence Howe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 11:22:07 -0700
RE:     Charles Brockden Brown

I believe that Mrs. Jules Hojnowski may be thinking of Charles Farrar
Browne, not Charles Brockden Brown.  The latter died 25 years before SLC
was born, so it seems unlikely that his lecture performances would have
influenced MT.  Moreover, I don't know of any reports of his lecturing; his
extensive responsibilities in publishing and writing for a series of
literary journals seemed to absorb all of his energies.

We do know, however, that Charles Farrar Browne (pseud. Artemus Ward) had
some influence on MT.  Still, if I'm wrong about C. B. Brown and MT, and
she has some evidence to share, I'd love to see it.

Last, please forgive the sentence fragment opening my last post.   It seems
I'm a much better proofreader after I've pushed the "send" button.

--LH