From:
doug bridges <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2011 17:39:54 -0800
I taught the undefiled, unedited, n***er-and-all text of Huck Finn in Polk
County High School, Columbus, NC,  several times over a ten-year period and I
had no trouble at all with students or parents.  I explained to my students that
Twain was a realistic writer and that Finn was a realistic book, and that as
such we could expect the characters to speak realistically as they would have
done in the time period of the book.  I also told my students that we would not
vocalize the word

n***er in class, but that we would subsitute the word "slave" for it in order to
respect the sensibilities of our minority students and anyone else who found the
word offensive. We then focused on the narrative and the many issues raised by
it, and we spoke no more of the offensive word.  No one complained except one
young lady of African-American origin who said her mother would not let her read
the book.  I showed the young lady essays by African-American scholars who say
that the book SHOULD be taught, and she then was satisfied that reading it would
be okay.  I suppose she convinced her mother.

Polk County High School is a school with about 700 students, about ten percent
of whom are African-American and about ten percent Hispanic, many of whom have
African blood from their heritage in Central and South America.  The students
range from below average to well above average in intelligence.  We have rural
students and town students, many of whom are very sophisticated owing to their
familiy situations. We have students who come from families who have lived in
this small county for many decades, and students who have moved here from the
North and from Hispanic countries.  In other words, a real mixed bag.  Both
rednecks and students who are the farthest from being such.  And I had excellent
demanding essays on various aspects of the novel, so I know beyond doubt that my
students read the book with understanding.

Handled properly, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn can be taught to any
students high school and above, without offending anyone and with great rewards
for all.