From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 2015 13:48:21 -0600
Twain actually attended one of Gillette's performances in which he
impersonated Twain and gave him a left-handed compliment, but a compliment
none the less. Mr Holbrook did listen to one of Gillette's (several)
recordings of the jumping frog story. He also consulted Lyon and Bim Pond
(son of Twain's last lecture agent). Others who knew or heard Twain later
attended Mr Holbrook's performances. I have a letter from Gillette about his
Twain performances, Clara's enthusiastic letter to a friend two days after
she met Mr Holbrook, and Mr. Holbrook's letter to Lyon after he visited her.
I've shared these with Mr Holbrook, and the details of this are all included
in an article (one of several at the moment) that I'm writing.

But suffice to say that Mr Holbrook bases his impersonation on that of a
fellow who had Twain's own endorsement and that this endorsement was
reaffirmed by Clara and others.

It might be worth pointing out that Mark Twain is a persona created by Sam
Clemens and that Sam Clemens performed that role from 1863 until April 9,
1910 when he signed his name "Mark Twain" for the last time. Mr Holbrook has
performed the role of Mark Twain even longer. So, when you see Mr Holbrook
perform you are indeed seeing Mark Twain, even if you are not seeing Sam
Clemens.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books