Shawn Fitzpatrick <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 24 Feb 1997 12:18:54 -0500

>> Would anyone know of a collection of essays that addresses Twain's "a
great
>> law of human action"? Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Takashi SUZUKI
>> Nihon University
>>
>Takashi Suzuki,
>
>Is that a quote from _Tom Sawyer_?  If so, which chapter?  I don't
>understand exactly what you are looking for.
>
>Good luck,
>larry marshburne

Larry Marshburne,

The quote in question comes from chapter 2 of SAWYER:
     Tom said to himself that it was not such a hollow world, after all.  He
had discovered      a great law of human action, without knowing it--namely,
that in order to make a man      or a boy covet a thing, it is only
necessary
to make the thing difficult to attain.
This comes near the end of the chapter after the whitewashing incident.

-Shawn Fitzpatrick.