From:
Rick Talbot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Aug 2013 19:54:11 -0500
Elmira 2013

The Seventh International Conference
On the State of Mark Twain Studies

EVALUATION

1.	How would you rate the conference overall?

Excellent

	Additional comments/criticisms/ things we did well/ things to
improve:

The conference this year was remarkably affordable, and we have Barb
Snedecor to thank for that. Times are tough economically, yet I was able to
raise the necessary funds in only a few short weeks by nightly taking the
money from my wife's purse. The toll on her was so exceedingly light that
the dear woman never felt this burden being gently lifted from her
shoulders, and again, we have Barb Snedecor to thank. My wife would thank
her, too, if only she could.

2.	Your comments and suggestions on any of the following specific
topics would be welcome:

Satisfaction with Campus Housing (if applicable):

I stayed in the monastic surroundings of Tomkins Hall dormitory. My room
austere and my pallet sufficiently hard as to afford the opportunity to
contemplate my sins when sleep would not come easy. I sometimes awoke
covered in sweat believing that I had an Econ. exam in the morning for which
I had not studied. It was over all, a true collegiate experience.

Satisfaction with Dining Services:

The food was very good, the staff warm and welcoming, and the table talk
unforgettable.

This space provided for additional thoughts, criticisms, and suggestions for
future conferences. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I am a collector of rare Mark Twain books. I am not a man of letters nor
have I written books or papers about Mark Twain yet the welcome bestowed
upon me was no less appreciated than the honorary Doctorate given to Twain
at Oxford. The Body-Twain has made clear to me the imperative of my
attendance here in that I am a member of that body and no less indispensable
than a finger or a toe or a foot to that body. Ask yourself which part of
your body might you willingly give up.

I see now that I am a valued member-perhaps the most valued member-in that I
am the only one who bought every one of their damn books. These Men and
Women of Letters all wrote books, and where I could have spent my money more
wisely on my wife and children, I squandered it on the labors of their love.

And now I return home to read and read again what they have written richer
in having known these men and women, looked into their eyes, and warmly
shaken their hands.

My curriculum vitae shall forever list my proudest accomplishment as
"Independent Mark Twain Scholar."

Best,
Rick Talbot

Independent Mark Twain Scholar (2009 to Present)
Commissioner of Communications, City of Falcon Heights (1994 to Present)
Housing Inspector, City of Crystal (retired)
Code Enforcement Officer, City of Roseville (retired)
Councilmember, Falcon Heights City Council (retired)
Editor, CaptionMax (retired)
Teaching Assistant, Spec. Ed. SD 162 (retired)
Facility Manager, Beth El Synagogue (retired)
Statistical Clerk, Ramsey County Hospital (retired)
Venereal Disease Technician, St. Paul Bureau of Health (retired)
Coroner's Investigator, Ramsey County Morgue (retired)
Medic, US Army Reserve (retired)
Forklift Operator, Coca Cola Bottling (retired)
Baker, Lee's Village Inn (retired)
Pots and Pans Washer, Lee's Village Inn (retired)
Caddy, Lost Spur Golf Club (retired)

Richard Talbot
1531 West Idaho Avenue
Falcon Heights, MN 55108-2118