From:
"Sharon K. Goetz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2012 13:54:46 -0800
http://www.marktwainproject.org/about_absample.shtml, originally placed
online as a preview before we published AutoMT1, says in part,

==
For some of his sharpest barbs, Mark Twain recommended a period of 500
years before publication, as indicated by this handwritten note: “Not to
be exposed to any eye until the edition of a.d. 2406. SLC” (20 June 1906).
==

This long-sightedness is not a new conceit; for example, Henry of
Huntingdon, a twelfth-century English historiographer, wrote an epilogue
to one text which addresses potential readers of the year 2135 CE.

Best,
Sharon Goetz

--
Digital Publications Manager, Mark Twain Papers & Project
http://www.marktwainproject.org/ http://bancroft.berkeley.edu/MTP/