From:
Sharon McCoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2006 12:27:11 -0400
Thanks, Mark--I totally missed that one.  His description of her isn't
flattering either, in the context.  Tom has said he's going to get married
and Huck tells him he "ain't in his right mind" and that it is the
"foolishest thing" he could do, because his "pap and mother . . . used to
fight all the time."

And lest we want to blame it all on pap--Huck says about girls, "I reckon
they're all alike.  They'll all comb a body.  Now you better think 'bout
this a while.  I tell you you better." (Ch. 25)

Of course, though, Huck then says he's worried about how lonesome he'd be if
Tom married.

Another book I need to re-read, again.

Best,
Sharon