From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2017 19:55:41 -0600
I know the press runs for many scholarly Twain books, and although I cannot
divulge those numbers without the permission of the publishers, I can make
the observation that scholarly presses are generally printing about half as
many books as they did 20 years ago, as ebooks become a bigger proportion of
total sales. Publisher's love ebooks: They don't have to be "shipped" or
"warehoused" and they don't get damaged by dust or vermin, or lost in
transit, or incur taxes as unsold inventory at the end of every year. But as
those hardcopy (both hardback and paperback) editions get smaller, the unit
prices rise steeply because the up-front overhead costs are still the same
and must be recovered from a smaller number of units. This general trend in
publishing is a huge threat to scholarly publishing and has caused mass
market publishers to pull back as well. Most scholarly presses depend
largely on library sales, so I'd urge anyone who wants to read any expensive
scholarly editions to lean on their local public or university library to
buy a copy, and then borrow it. Have your friends and family ask for the
book too. Libraries frequently make purchase decisions based on reader
demand.

The Salem Press book on HF is not the only expensive book out there. Here's
a link to the entire Salem Press Critical Insights series. It's quite a
list, and you'll notice that they all sell for the same price. Judging from
the length of that list and the fact that they are constantly adding to that
popular series, it's obviously they are selling those books to somebody (ie,
libraries).

http://salempress.com/press_titles.html?series=32

I say all of this so that nobody blames scholars, editors, booksellers, or
even publishers. It might be tempting to blame publishers but they are
obeying the laws of economics, and I can't think of anyone who has made a
fortune as a writer, editor, publisher, or seller or scholarly books. I've
made a few dollars as an antiquarian bookseller and I've spent untold hours
writing on scholarly topics. I prefer the latter, and if I ever figure out
how to make scholarly writing pay, watch out! First, though, I need to
figure out how to make drowsing in a hammock pay.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books
9307 Glenlake Drive