From:
Jim Zwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 1996 23:08:02 +0000
I am forwarding this query to the list for Marilyn Ohlsson who had
trouble subscribing.  I haven't seen any discussion of this question
but think that if there was an African American response to Huck Finn
at the time it was published, someone on this list would probably
know about it.  Because Marilyn is not on the list, please cc any
Thanks.

Jim Zwick

From: Marilyn Ohlsson <[log in to unmask]>:

It was suggested that I post a question asked by a student (junior in
high school) when we were discussing the controversy over whether or
not it is appropriate to teach Huckleberry Finn in high school.  She
asked, "So what did the African-Americans think about the book back
then?"  If anyone has an answer to this (based on scholarship and/or
essays published at the time), please send to me.  Thank you very
much!