From:
Steve Courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2008 14:28:39 -0500
David, there's proof that great minds think alike in the fact that I used that "handsomest man" quote as the envoi of the book.

I think others should say how the present book compares with Strong's lively 1967 bio, and the mini-Twichell biography and other cogent observations in Kenneth Andrews' elegantly written Nook Farm: Mark Twain's Hartford Circle.

Would that I had "Day by Day" when I was working on the book! I saw the excerpts in the Mark Twain Journal. What a feat!

Steve

Steve Courtney7 Union St.Terryville, CT [log in to unmask]> Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 12:57:54 -0500> From: [log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: Joe Twichell biography> To: [log in to unmask]> > Yes, and how would you contrast it with Leah Strong's excellent bio?> > Now, if someone (I'm tied up till 2011) will just do justice to a bio on Joe > Goodman, I can die happy. The only thing out there is a 1936 masters thesis > at Columbia, "Joe Goodman, The Man Who Made Mark Twain," which is quite a > come-on title, by Eva Adams. Goodman was quite the editor and man...since > beginning my 3-volume work, I've come across quite a few things involving him, > including a possible affair or some sort of hankypank with Kitty Barstow, wife of > Wm. H. Barstow. I'm currently in 1889 when Sam enlisted Goodman to sell > speculation in the Paige typesetter. > > Later Goodman broke the code for some Mayan languages--overall he lived a > full life, including growing grapes in Fresno on money given by the silver > magnate of the Comstock Lode, John Mackay (Mackey). > > If no bio surfaces by the end of my 3rd volume, I'll consider at least an > article on the man. He did give Sam a great boost at a very low point, although > to say he made MT is a stretch. > > I'm looking forward to adding your book on the man Sam called "the > handsomest man that ever lived" [remarks recorded in the _Courant_ on May 29, 1888 on > a May 28 reception honoring Joe on his 50th birthday (the 27), when the > church gave him the deed to his house and money for improvements].> > David H Fears> Mark Twain Day By Day> > > > **************It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms, and advice on AOL Money & > Finance. (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolprf00030000000001)
http://biggestloser.msn.com/