Sender: Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
From: Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 13:19:09 -0600
I saw it and immediately went out to buy the book (to read and then add to
my extensive shelf of Twaints) and discovered that Jeff Nichols had written
the film --there's no book. Damn!

The Twain motifs and metaphors are abundant but a little muddled (yes,
that's a pun) with no particular character in the film carrying along a
particular theme long enough to parallel Twain's works too closely. There
may be loads of postmodern formalist metatextuality in the film, but I don't
know what those words mean any more than those who use them, so I missed it
if there was any. Don't expect it to be an updated HF set in our time. But
that doesn't matter since the periodic nods to incidents and characters in
TS and HF are effective just as they are. There's no "I'll go to Hell"
moment although the scene where Mud takes the snakebitten kid to the ER
might qualify. There's also no Tom Sawyer character playing off a Huck Finn
character, or vice versa, and there's no Jim. Yes, Mud's situation parallels
Jim's superficially, but they are very different characters except for Mud's
somewhat paternal attitiude toward the boys. No evasion chapters, so to
speak, but none needed. They *were* needed in HF to highlight postwar
treatment of blacks after slavery "ended"-- just in case there are any
"evasion-whiners" listening. I thought the movie ended just right, but won't
spoil that for those who have not seen it.

If we have any movie buffs on the list I'd invite them to informally treat
us all to a full-dress review of this flick, connecting all of the dots.
Heck, I might go see it again...

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books