From:
Matthew Seybold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2019 11:03:19 -0500
Ben Blatt included Twain among the authors he analyzed in Nabokov’s Favorite Word is Mauve (2017). But he only included Twain’s novels in his corpus. The book was about analyzing the characteristics of acclaimed novelists.

I am not claiming that “of first water” means its Twain, merely that Twain’s invocation of that peculiar colloquialism contemporaneously makes me think we should keep him as a suspect (to borrow your conceit).

I will converse with some digital humanists who have expertise in this arena, but I fear the sample size problem may be insurmountable. Not only is the piece short, but because it satirizes a particularly event, it has a disproportionate amount of vocabulary (and potentially other stylistic habits) peculiar to Buffalo, cattle trading, etc. which are likely to reflect occasion rather than authorship.

But I will consult some experts.

- MS

Matt Seybold
Assistant Professor of American Literature & Mark Twain Studies
Elmira College
Editor, MarkTwainStudies.org
MattSeybold.com