From:
Jason Steed <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 16:47:56 PST
I'm new to the list, and also fairly new to Twain scholarship, as a PhD
student in American lit. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any source(s)
Twain may have had for the episode in _Huck Finn_ where Jim tells of how he
discovered his daughter's deafness. I'm thinking mainly in terms of folklore
or maybe something historical--and of course it's highly possible that there
is no identifiable "source" at all. The episode is interesting to me as one
of the few times we hear Jim say much about himself and/or his family,
without identifying himself (or his family) in relation to Huck or other
white people.

Comments, questions, suggestions, answers--all are welcome!

J.P. Steed

English Department, UNLV
4505 Maryland Pkwy, Box 455011
Las Vegas, NV 89154-5011