From:
Barry Crimmins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2007 15:08:06 -0400
I'll tell you what. Mr. Coburn, I don't really need lectures on
humor since I've made my living as a humorist for the past 35 years.
And, as great good fortune would have it, a good living, at that.  If
I were to use the term "mighty white" in my work, I'd make damned
sure that it was in context and was meant (and understood) to
belittle someone who would use that term. No one would but the
terminally humorless could take offense because I matter of factly
slagged people of color. At best Fears carelessly used the term and
provided no contextual out for himself. If he was simply sloppy, let
him say so. If he thinks he can bandy something that offensive about
in literate company, he deserves what he gets.

As far as your hack blonde and ancient dyslexic jokes are concerned,
continue to forward them to people who have already heard them ten
thousand times but please remember the immortal words of the Boston
Celtics and LA Lakers, "if you're going to bring that crap down the
lane, be prepared to make your free throws because the lay-up ain't
going in."

As a performer and a writer I've politely suffered through a million
stupid jokes. In the process I have paid an exorbitant tuition  in
patience and time to become an expert on the subject of lousy humor.
It figures you'd wheel some out for your condescending seminar.

And for the record, my assertion remains that the term "it was white
of him" is spoken in the language of white supremacists. To say
someone does a good deed and then reward the person for the deed by
saying he was behaving like the white race is to say that other races
are inferior. That offended me and angered me just as much as my
response angered you. It's funny, and often telling, what sets people
off.

Finally, you have decided Larry and I would participate in cruelty
against Alzheimer's patients. What a sad thing it is that you would
choose to use the afflicted for a human shield.

Sincerely,

Barry Crimmins