From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Feb 2017 19:03:09 -0600
Mr. Fulton says that I “assert” that the bundle of letters was put together
and distributed by Bob Hirst of the Mark Twain Papers and that I "allege"
that Bob Hirst gave copies to only four people. He then goes on to describe
the bundle in detail, and to claim that he had proper permission to publish
from it.

Let me be clear: Bob Hirst himself told me that he put that bundle together
and distributed it to four people, and he gave me explicit permission to say
so in my review. Unlike Joe Fulton, I took a moment to contact Bob Hirst and
Alan Gribben, and by doing so I obtained a much fuller account of the story
than what is presented by Fulton in his book. Also, unlike Joe Fulton, I
showed a copy of my review to both Hirst and Gribben before it appeared in
the Forum and they both approved it. I consider the confirmation of sources
and fact-checking not only be prudent, but a matter of best practice,

Mr. Fulton did not need to describe the contents of the bundle of letters; I
have a complete copy and read the entire 214pp. as part of my routine
preparation for writing the review. Mr. Fulton’s claim that fair use extends
to extensive quoting, for publication and commercial gain, from unpublished
personal letters written by living individuals, may or may not be correct. I
am not an attorney (but I prudently consulted two when writing this review)
and the legal case involving unpublished private letters written by J. D.
Salinger (Salinger v Random House, 1987), the 1992 revisions to copyright
law, and the information provided at
http://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/fair-use/  are all worth examining. Mr.
Fulton asserts that he had permission to publish those letters from the Mark
Twain Archives at Elmira College; if that is accurate--and not the result of
a misunderstanding--it was not their permission to give. The letter-writers
hold the copyright to those letters, not Elmira College; therefore, Mr.
Fulton should have sought permission from the letter-writers.

The issue of the possible defamation of an individual or institution is not
one that will be decided by me or Fulton, and is an entirely separate legal
matter from any issues of infringement. In my opinion, common courtesy
should have been Fulton's guide, and he should have asked his colleagues
about the things he quotes so liberally in his book. He might have learned
more of the story. I stand by every word of my review.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books
9307 Glenlake Drive