Sender:
From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2011 12:46:35 -0600
>> If anyone here honestly considers Gribben's position defensible*, I'd
>> certainly like to see the argument laid out, point by point.
>> Dan Davis
>> Atlanta, GA
>>
>> * When I say "defensible" I mean supportable by means other than
>> emotional
>> references to Dr. Gribben's credentials, experience, reputation, or
>> all-around good-guy personality.

***********************

Al Gribben makes his case in the introduction to the book which is available
at the publisher's website. Point by point? Well, I don't know if you'll
find any p'ints in his argument that make it any better'n any other
argument. That's up to you, and you may agree or disagree.

I pointed out that Al is one of us and deserves the same respect that anyone
else does. He's done more to advance Twain scholarship than most, and some
of the chatter about this new edition has been disrespectful. This is not an
"emotional reference" to his "all-round good-guy personality" -- it's a plea
for civility.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books