From:
Bob Gill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 21:18:40 -0400
 Seeing the recent questions about Twain's alleged ``white elephant'' remark reminded me of this question I've been meaning to ask: Does anyone
have any sales figures for ``The Stolen White Elephant'' in book form? As I understand it (but don't remember where I read it), this book was not
published by subscription, but was intended for book stores, because James Osgood convinced Twain to let him try selling a book that way. So I
assume it didn't sell nearly as many copies as the others, but I haven't been able to find any actual numbers for sales in the first year, first
few years or whatever, and I thought someone here might.

 -- Bob G.