Sender:
From:
John Bird <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2004 09:04:59 -0500
As a guitar player, I have always been particularly interested in this
question.  It would indeed be very interesting if he owned a Martin guitar
that was built the year he was born.  But I am skeptical too.  I don't
remember a single reference in his writing or about him concerning even
playing the guitar.  Does anybody?  I have seen many references to him
playing the piano and singing spirituals, but none about playing guitar and
singing spirituals.  The guitar article Bob sends mentions that he had this
guitar with him in the mining days.  There's no mention of it in "Roughing
It," I'm pretty sure, having just reread it this semester.  So--does anybody
know of him mentioning any guitar?

BTW, this particular, his or not, would be extremely valuable.  A Martin
guitar from that era in that good shape would command a very steep price.