From:
Peter Salwen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 2008 10:47:11 -0700
Jim --

Sounds like you're thinking of a "The Danger of Lying in Bed," published in The Galaxy in 1871. Barbara Schmidt has generously posted in on her site at www.twainquotes.com/Galaxy/187102d.html.

It wasn't a life insurance salesman, but a railroad ticket agent selling accident insurance. Twain claimed he had already "invested" in travel insurance for awhile with "never a prize in the lot." So he hunted up statistics & found that the Erie Railroad was killing at most 26 out of a million passengers every six months, while "in the same time 13,000 of New York's million die in their beds!" "The peril," he concluded, "lay not in travelling, but in stayng at home."

His "advice to all people" therefore was, "Don't stay at home any more than you can help; but when you have got to stay at home a while, buy a package of those insurance tickets and sit up nights. You cannot be too cautious."

Thanks for the reminder; I hadn't re-read this piece since I was a kid.

Pete Salwen