From:
Bob Gill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 21:57:21 -0400
  I'd like to second the comments about Neider's contributions to Twain's
legacy. A
couple of decades ago, it wasn't easy to find pieces like "In Defense of
Harriet
Shelley" outside of his Complete Essays volume, and the same is true of the
volumes
of short stories and sketches & tales. I wonder how many people in the '60s
and
'70s had a Twain collection that consisted entirely of these three books and
Neider's edition of the autobiography? More than a few, I bet, especially if
you
count only hardback books and not Signet Classic versions of Huckleberry
Finn and
the others.

Bob G.