Sender:
Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Dec 2011 12:56:18 -0500
From:
Dennis Kelly <[log in to unmask]>
The Library of Congress had an exhibit of the work of Cliff Berryman a year or so ago. They hold a large number of the original cartoons and may have the original of this one so that the words can be more clearly seen.

from their website for the exhibit:

Most of these cartoons appeared on the front page of Washington newspapers from 1898 through 1948. They are part of a collection of nearly 2,400 pen-and-ink drawings by Berryman. In 1992, in honor of former Senate Majority Leader Mike Mansfield, the Charles Engelhard Foundation purchased the drawings and donated them to the U.S. Senate. This remarkable collection is now housed with the historical records of Congress in the Center for Legislative Archives at the National Archives in Washington, DC.

Dennis Kelly
San Francisco