From:
David Dussere <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2019 05:13:21 +0000
Thanks Kevin for your (as always) informative reply. Your guess that the editors of the MTLH didn't know the source because it had been reprinted with no author indicated is probably what happened. But I have two theories, both based on the contentious relationship between Clark and Twain. (The MTJ in 1991 has two essays--one by Horst Kruse and the other by David Ketterman) illustrating the friction.)  Perhaps Twain wanted Clark's/Adeler's name suppressed. Or Clark refused to grant permission to publish a possibly copyright piece. (The almost exact sketch ("Butterwick's Little Gas Bill") is in Clark/Adeler's ELBOW ROOM.)  By 1888 ( the publishing of MTLH)  Clark was trying to get rid of his reputation as a "mere"  humorist. I look forward to the Clemens conference and welcome any further discussion about  Clark/Adeler and his place as a humorist.