From:
Mark Dawidziak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2013 19:21:34 -0500
     Not to take anything away from Daniel Day-Lewis and Steven
Spielberg, but Hal's portrayal of Lincoln is quite the achievement.
Produced by David L. Wolper ("Roots") and first aired as the miniseries
"Sandburg's Lincoln" in 1975, the six-part production followed Lincoln
from young lawyer through the White House years. Each hour was given its
own title: "Crossing Fox River," "Mrs. Lincoln's Husband," "Prairie
Lawyer," "Sad Figure, Laughing," "The Unwilling Warrior," "The Last Days."
      Sada Thompson played Mary Todd Lincoln, and Robert Foxworth, who
many years later co-starred with Hal in an excellent regional theater
production of "Uncle Vanya," played Maj. John Stuart. One of the
episodes was written by playwrights Jerome Lawrence and Robert E. Lee,
authors of "Inherit the Wind," "Mame" and "The Night Thoreau Spent in
Jail." Stripped of commercials, the entire production runs four hours
and 58 minutes. Hal has five Emmys, and not one of them is for playing
Mark Twain. But one of them is for this remarkable portrayal of Lincoln.
     The miniseries was released in 2011 as a two-DVD set by Mill Creek
Entertainment, and it can be found for as low as $5. I think Amazon has
it listed for about that.
      In the mid-'80s, Hal again played Lincoln for the two "North and
South" miniseries. So his presence as Preston Blair in the Spielberg
"Lincoln" is a nice touch in so many ways.
      I've not yet caught up with the "Omnibus" TV production "Mr.
Lincoln" from 1952, written by no less than James Agee (and also
available on DVD), but Royal Dano's performance has been said to rank
with the very finest Lincolns. Bringing this full circle, Dano played
Mark Twain in the 1975 TV movie "Huckleberry Finn," which featured Ron
Howard in the title role and our old friend Bill Erwin as Harvey Wilkes.