From:
Gretchen Sharlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Oct 2010 22:19:49 -0400
Dear Forum Members,
  THE BOOK is a GEM: MARK TWAIN IN ELMIRA. Edited by Robert D. Jerome and Herbert A. Wisbey, Jr.  It truly was the first to alert the Twain world to Mark Twain's significant connections with Elmira, New York, and to the Elmira Langdon family, published in 1977, by the Mark Twain Society, Inc.. In this book you will find the essay written by Mark Twain's niece, Dr. Ida Langdon, entitled," My Uncle Mark Twain." In it she describes his "Love at First Sight," and seeing the "cherished miniature" in the "Turkish harbor of Smyrna."  We, in Elmira, consider Dr. Ida Langdon, a "primary resource."  She was a contemporary of Jean Clemons, taught at Elmira College,died in 1964. Hope this is helpful.  Hope you can find THE book.  Cheers, Gretchen Sharlow