From:
Wesley Britton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 14:30:18 -0500
Oh, go to Hannibal!   It's a wonderful river town and the people are just
great!  Sure, there's the tacky wax museum and other overt-the-top
commercial businesses, but my stay back in '85 was one of  the highlights of
my Twain tours.

If you can go on memorial Day or something like that, you can really get the
flavor of the community.  While I was there, I found a little watering hole
where I got to talk to many citizens and found myself sharing good will with
the
folks there.  On my way out, I attempted to buy some ice for my cooler, but
the bartender wouldn't take any money from me.  "You enjoyed our town so
much," he said, "that I want you to take this as a gift."  A small thing,
perhaps, but indicative of a good experience.

Remember--unlike the Elmira center or the Hartford house, Hanibal is a town
that wants to show off its best attributes to attract both tourists and
industry.  Scholars and historians can find what they will, but also just
plain folks who have a wide variety of entertainment's and sites to see.
I'll go again in a heartbeat.

Wes Britton