From:
Jeff Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2006 08:59:52 -0600
Hello,

Next week, I'll be teaching No. 44, The Mysterious Stranger in my
American Novels course.  I'm curious if list members have any
suggestions or experience in teaching this enigmatic novel.  (I'm using
the UCal text established in 1969).

A bit of background on the course: the course has the theme of "crime
and punishment"-before Twain, we will have read The House of the Seven
Gables, The Confidence Man, The House of Mirth, Maggie, A Modern
Instance, and Iola Leroy.  After Twain, we will read The Sun Also Rises,
Passing, and Absalom, Absalom!.  There are about 20 English majors and
minors in the class.

Jeffrey W. Miller
University of Tennessee at Martin