From:
Scott Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Oct 2020 08:52:12 -0700
It seems, with your second note about St. Gothard - Gotthard Pass -
you've been of great help to me.  I knew I had reference to Gotthard in
my site, so I looked it up and found it was a note about Joe Twichell,
he took a solo three day trip there in  1878 while Twain remained in
Lucerne.  So I checked my 1898 map of railway routes and a tunnel
through the pass did exist.  It was opened in 1882.  This provides a
direct route to Milan and then to Genoa.

So, you've been of great help to me.