From:
Dan Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2011 13:29:17 -0500
Thanks for continuing to explore this. I'm finding that your points and
those of others are pushing me to look critically at how I assemble the
issue in my mind, and I just realized something:

If we accept the notion (and I'm not saying I do) that there is some
objective point or sequence of points at which an editor's work transitions
from the acceptable to the unacceptable (from "edited" to "bowdlerized"
perhaps), what might be the criteria for making that evaluation?

Certainly an important criterion must be whether (or minimally to what
degree) the original meaning of the text has been preserved after an edit.
But here's where it gets tricky. If a word is being swapped out because of a
cultural acceptability issue, how do we make that determination?
Acceptability has to do with what the word's semantic content is NOW (which
is likely to be demographically sensitive). But to evaluate whether the word
swap changes the text's meaning, are we to examine what the word meant when
the author penned it, or what it means now? It seems to me that this can
leave the editor in an impossible position if preservation of meaning is a
real consideration.

Perhaps even more difficult is the question of meaning specificity. At what
level of meaning are we making the evaluation? Are we talking about broad
thematic meaning? The meaning of units of discourse? Meaning within the
context of character or plot development? The meaning of each specific
instance of usage within the context of the sentence? And what about point
of view? Are we talking about the reason the author made a specific word
selection (the intent)? Maybe we only care about what the story' s
characters mean when they use the word. But what does it mean to the
characters who don't use it but only hear it being used? Does that matter?
Wait - maybe what really matters is just the meaning the word would have for
the author's contemporary readers -- the "target audience."

Maybe it's all of the above. When translators set out to create new language
editions of a work, they are all essential considerations. Should
same-language edits be subjected to less stringent standards?

Dan Davis
Atlanta