From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2011 15:39:32 -0600
Lou set the gold standard to which all Twainians should aspire. His
scholarship, modesty, generous heart, and ready encouragement were
boundless. When he visited Austin about ten years ago we spent the better
part of an afternoon digging through my Twain materials and I took him to
lunch at a local eatery known for their suth'run cookin' and also known as
the place where Janis Joplin got her start during open mike nights. We
happened to be seated on the very spot where the tiny old open mike stage
had once been set up, and while we waiting for our order I told him where he
was sitting. He asked "will that make the food taste better?" and we then
fell into musings about various "historic" sites and the hows and whys of
how they did or did not get preserved. Whenever I eat there in the future,
the food will indeed taste better.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books
9307 Glenlake Drive
Austin TX 78730
512-345-4139
Member: ABAA, ILAB
*************************
You may browse our books at
www.macdonnellrarebooks.com

> On Jan 1, 2011, at 11:00 AM, Quirk, Thomas V. wrote:
>
>> I am sorry to report that Louis Budd died in his sleep on Monday, =
> December
>> 20th. In accordance with Lou's wishes, there will be no memorial =
> service.
>> As some of you may know, Lou lived the last several months next door =
> to his
>> son and his family in Patagonia, Arizona.  According to his son," if =
> you
>> communicate with folks who wish to memorialize in some concrete way, =
> his
>> favorite cause had become the local library.  Any checks would be made
>> payable to Friends of the Library, at mailing address Patagonia Public
>> Library, PO Box 415, Patagonia, AZ, 85624.  They do have a website, =
> which is
>> www.patagoniapubliclibrary.org."
>>=20
>> Tom Quirk =20