From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2017 10:43:17 -0600
The best source I've seen on sawyers and snags is Louis Hunter's Steamboats
on the Western Rivers (1949), pp. 235-36. He describes exactly how and why
they occur, the conditions and seasons when they were most dangerous, etc.
The section of the river between St Louis and Cairo was known as "The
Graveyard" because it averaged more than one wreck per mile, most caused by
encounters with snags and sawyers. A sawyer, BTW, is a type of snag whose
shaft points downstream and moves in an up and down "sawing" motion, visible
one moment and invisible the next. They were equally dangerous to steamboats
going upstream or down. The lower the water level in the river, the greater
the hazard, even though they became more visible at those times.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books
9307 Glenlake Drive