From:
Mark Dawidziak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 2008 12:59:41 -0400
    Although never accused of being the shy and retiring type, I was
reluctant to join the Mark Twain Circle and attend an Elmira summit. It
wasn't that I was intimidated by an academic group. Certainly nobody at
no time had uttered a single word that could be taken as intimidating,
off-putting or elitist. But my perception was that this was a group
designed by academics for academics. There was no Forum at the time (the
time being the early '90s), but, if there had been, my response would
have been similar: "Why would they want me around? What have I got to
offer?"
    Some of this perception was based on exposure to other academic
groups devoted to literary figures. They tend to guard their territory
ferociously and tenaciously, and they look suspiciously upon any new
face, academic or not. Yup, I was carrying baggage, and it weighed me
down some.
    The venerable Tom Tenney (all honor to his name) was the one who
held the Twain door open and urged me to step inside (pushed me inside,
actually). "You're precisely the kind of person we need," Tom's
honey-combed tones assured. I joined the Circle. I became long-distance
friends with many Twain scholars whose work I cherished. But despite the
encouragement of growing number of Twainiacs, I still passed on
attending the 1994 Elmira conference. My loss.
    I felt as if I'd earned the right to attend the 1997 conference
because my first Twain book was published in 1996. Ah-ha, this is my
ticket in. I have a credential. Do you know how incredibly stupid this
was? OK, sure, most of you know. Tom had told me the only credential you
needed to attend was an interest in Mark Twain, and I foolishly didn't
take that on face value.
    So I attended the 1997 conference, and it was a magical time. I was
swept up in a whirlwind of welcome. Professors and non-academics alike
couldn't have been more friendly, supportive and sharing. I immediately
felt like I belonged. And, strangely, more than that, I felt as if I'd
always belonged. It's impossible to list the number of kindnesses
    This, without exception, has been my experience in the greater Twain
world. I'm sure many of you who have researched Twain or written on
Twain have had similar experiences. You ask for help, and it's
immediately and generously offered from a staggering number of directions.
    Some of those directions can be traced back to a university, some to
a center for Twain studies, some to non-academic Twain researchers. The
common theme is generosity. If this be intimidation, make the most of it!
    By the 2001 conference (again being pushed by both academic and
non-academic Twain friends), I was presenting a paper. And the first
people to tell me they liked the presentation were those snooty
academics Lou Budd, Vic Doyno and Shelley Fisher Fishkin. The nerve of
these people, trying to intimidate a poor working writer like that. Can
you believe the extent people will go to topple an Ivory Tower on you?
    So I've presented at the last two conferences, and I'll be honored
to have a paper accepted for next year's conference. How did that
happen? Well, it didn't happen because someone put an "academics only"
sign outside the Twain gates.
     I've made this observation in the acknowledgments to my books and
in previous postings, but I'm not just blowing happy smoke at the Twain
community. I know through wonderful experience that this is how the vast
majority of Twain enthusiasts are, whether they write the word professor
before their names or not. If I asked each of you to cite examples of
this eagerness to help and share, the responses would clog this forum
for several days.
    That's why the late unpleasantries troubled me so deeply. They put a
false face on the true nature of the Twain community.
     And it's not as if I don't have points of comparison. I have
experience, good and bad, with other areas of literary research. I'm a
card-carry (nice card, by the way) member in good standing of the
Dickens Fellowship (I'm on the planning committee for the 2009
International conference, which will be here in Cleveland, right before
the Elmira conference, so make your plans -- it's a beautiful five-hour
drive from the Cleve to Elmira). Also, when I was working on a book
about Dashiell Hammett, those biographers and researchers couldn't have
been more sharing and helpful. Just finished a book on Bram Stoker's
"Dracula," and those academics truly drove a stake through the notion of
academic elitism. Those are the ones that compare favorably with the
Twain community. I will not mention the many harsher experiences in
other realms.
    My point is (and I do have one) is that I've run into my share of
Ivory Towers. I see remarkably little of that rarefied substance in the
Twain world. Almost none. And the last time I checked, elitism and
snobbishness were not attitudes exclusive to academia.
    I wholeheartedly agree that these attitudes do not fit the spirit of
Twain, but they don't fit the spirit of Twain academics, either. So to
my fellow non-academics, I would say, don't let the rare ungenerous
spirit speak for the group. Gives these professor types a chance, and
you'll be greatly rewarded for it.
     Twain said he had no prejudices because all he needed to know was
that someone was a human being -- he couldn't be any worse. I have no
prejudices on this Forum because all I need to know is that you're a
Twain enthusiast -- it doesn't get much better.
    After that, if you have any doubts you belong here, remember the
words of Tom Tenney (all honor to his name): "You're precisely the kind
of person we need."