Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2011 17:46:43 -0500
From:
Jocelyn Chadwick <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Kevin, you hit on a significant point--the teaching of the novel, the time, the people.  In the United States,  students most usually encounter "Huck"  at the 11th grade-- the American literary survey. Students will have experienced several of Twain's other pieces at earlier grades. "A True Story," "Huck," Uncle Tom's Cabin," and now works by Frances Harper and Pauline Hopkins are included, along with essays, journals, etc. I have interacted with this novel and students of all ethnicities for some time now, and I have yet to encounter students who resolutely reject the reading of the work, IF they feel one has prepared to teach/share/experience it with  them and IF they feel safe in the classroom. Much of the success for the teaching of any piece of American literature, whether  in high school or undergraduate, depends on the teacher. I feel the goal of teaching any piece of challenging literature is to encourage students to experience the work and determine for themselves whether that experience enlightened them in some  way or whether the experience left them flat and unaffected.

By teaching  American works such as "Huck,"  modern students can begin to understand that at one time language really did make a difference; that words really do carry weight and consequences.