From:
Mike Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 2008 20:27:38 -0500
re: the recent unpleasantness...

1) To reiterate a point I've already seen a couple times, most message boards/forums have rules regarding civil discourse.  Penalties vary, but they're more often than not there to help maintain the community.  Furthermore, there is no "right" to be on any privately created forum, and if one can't maintain civility, then, hey, take the consequences.  Complaining about the removal of the Mr. Fears from the board seems to me the same as complaining about the reaction to the Dixie Chicks' brouhaha a few years back.  Natalie Maines had every right to say what she said, but those who disagreed with her had every right to protest by destroying legally obtained CDs and requesting their music not be played on their local stations. Sure, one might question the rationality of some of these protests, but freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences.

2) With regard to whether this decision is hypocritical seeing as how we defend the perceived "offensiveness" of Huckleberry Finn: absolutely not.  In our defense of Twain, we cite authorial intent, and look at the context of the use within the work.  Twain uses the epithet in its proper historical context (a phrase we teachers use each year in setting up his novel) and does so to make the themes of his novel more powerful.  Can the same be said of Mr. Fears' emails?  i.e., did he HAVE to use the word "coolies", or was he merely trying to be inflammatory?  Knowing his history in this forum,  I think we all know the answer to this.

3) Suggesting being called a "troll" is equal to being termed a "nigger" or a "coolie" or a "cracker" or "kike" or whatever is extremely disingenuous.  The others are pejoratives for ethnicity - something out of our control.  Anyone has the ability to avoid being a troll (I've always thought.  I suppose this is arguable).

4) I'm very glad that Dr. Chadwick has changed her mind about leaving this forum.  I hope others do as well.

5) Gig 'em Aggies!  Beat the hell outta UCLA!  (thought I'd throw that in).

Mike Williams
A&M Consolidated HS