Sender:
From:
James Caron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2015 09:35:27 -1000
If Alf Doten did not talk much about SLC in his diaries, on two occasions
he did in print.

The Nevada Magazine, vol. I, nos. 2 & 3, 1899, each features Doten writing
about "Early Journalism in Nevada."

Part one features Doten telling a tale about his meeting Sam at a new
mining town, Como, which was then gaining some fame because of "many fine
looking quartz ledges."

Doten says he was not only writing for the Virginia City Daily Union at the
time, but also for the Como Sentinel. Sam was sent by the Enterprise to
examine the area and write it up.  Doten says that Sam was there about two
weeks, "making himself a popular favorite," but not examining the ledges.
Doten offered to take him to one spot that would afford a wide view of the
terrain, give him the names of the ledges, and generally help in the
assignment.  When Doten says that the spot is half a mile away, he says Sam
turns hims down.."I'm too derned lazy," and proposes they head to the local
brewery instead.

Doten finishes by noting that when Sam's letter to the Enterprise on Como
appeared, Mark Twain said the town was "most promising" but every time he
set out to inspect the ledges and mines, he could "never get past the
brewery."

The second installment recounts tales about SLC that Doten heard from
others: the fake robbery coming back to SF after a lecture tour, and
practical jokes when Sam was working on the Enterprise.