From:
"David S. Barber" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 1998 16:50:44 -0800
        For an essay I'm working on, and also just out of curiosity, I'd love to
know if anyone knows what happened to the students who, according to a lost
news account I read, ran afoul of their school principal about 5 years ago:

        As I recall it, the news item went like this:  two high-school students,
whose duty it was to read a catchy quotation over the school public address
system at the start of the school day, found, in a book called (something
like) A TEACHER'S BOOK OF QUOTATIONS, (something like) this, by Mark Twain:
 "First, God made idiots.  That was for practice.  Then he made school
boards."

        The principal was enraged and put the students in detention for the whole
day.  But I never saw any follow-up item, never knew for example how the
local school board responded, or the local public (where this happened I've
forgotten too).  Did the kids become celebrities?  Did they get expelled?

        If anyone can fill out, or correct, this imperfect recollection, I'll be
grateful.

Dave Barber