Sender:
Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Sep 2022 21:49:01 -0400
From:
David Foster <[log in to unmask]>
Try page 113 of the 125thn anniversary edition from the UoCalifornia Press.
In that edition it is near the illustration of "An
Old-fashioned Break-down." The paragraph begins "You look at the
graveyards, that tells the tale."  The Child of Calamity is speaking.

David

On Fri, Sep 9, 2022 at 6:52 PM Scott Holmes <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> An interesting selection as I have been poring over this chapter in my
> digging into the history of Cairo.  This is the chapter wherein Huck and
> Jim pass Cairo.  It is also the chapter that contains the restored
> material of Huck on the log raft.  I have found no references to St.
> Louis or Cincinnati, however.
>
> On 9/9/22 13:23, David Foster wrote:
> > Try Huck Finn, chapter16 - the comparison of a St. Louis and a Cincinnati
> > graveyard.
> >
> > On Fri, Sep 9, 2022 at 2:34 PM Scott Holmes<[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> He was not entirely joking.  Charles Dickens reports drinking
> >> Mississippi River water while in St. Louis.  This event with Twain also
> >> occurred in St. Louis in April of 1882, at the outset of his return to
> >> the Mississippi.  Thank you, Taylor, for the reference. It also serves
> >> to indicate that the muddy nature of the Mississippi River derives from
> >> the Missouri River, often referred to as "The Big Muddy",  an appelation
> >> mistakenly applied to the Mississippi on occasion.

> affected
> would
> let
> >> as
> the
> them.
> up,
> >> it
> good

> except
> >> for
> >> there

> may
> If
> (pre-industrial)

> >> --
> >> /Unaffiliated Geographer and Twain aficionado/
> >>

> --
> /Unaffiliated Geographer and Twain aficionado/

--

[image: AUseal_sig.jpg]

David Foster

Professor of Political Science

Department of History and Political Science

Andrews Hall 122

(w) 419-289-5626