From:
Lawrence Howe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 2010 07:02:58 -0800
Hal--
Well said.  But since I'm sitting here in Florence (alas my visit ends tomorrow), I thought I'd remind you that nobody had harsher things to say about Florence than MT himself.  And I'll admit to having wandered around aimlessly her for far too long, but not nearly as long as in Venice.
I've got to agree with Twain that the Arno would make a decent river if only they could find a way to put some water in it.  Heavy rain this weekend has given it, temporarily, the look of a river; by Thursday it'll be back to its creek-like self.  Of course, I won't be here Thursday so I'll try to recall its rushing volume for a little while longer.
Best,
--LH