Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 2011 14:55:05 -0500
>The text body is in 10/14 Adobe Garamond (10 pt type with 14 pts leading).
>Unusually large leading, partly because the line length on the (new) 7 x 10
>page size is almost an inch longer than in all our previous books. The
>extract size is 9/12 and the extract within extract size is 7/11½. It's our
>impression that the text looks as if it were in a much smaller point size
>than it actually is because the type itself is very small-bodied. Compare,
>for instance, any volume in the _Letters,_ which are in 10/13 Linotype
>Plantin, or _Huck Finn,_//which is in 10/13 Trump Mediaeval. Both much
>easier to read. The forthcoming "reader's edition" of the Autobiography
>goes back to our usual page size (6 by 9) and boosts the text body size to
>11/14.

Thanks for the information. I see there is a note at the bottom of the
next-to-last page, just before the blurb about the Green Press initiative; I
had missed that before. I was really surprised to hear that it's 10-point,
but I think your explanation is right: It just "looks" smaller than
something like Times Roman or Arial or Trump. The leading doesn't surprise
me, though, because there does seem to be a good bit of space between the
lines. I worked for newspapers for about a quarter of a century, and the
standard there was 9-point type (Times) and 10-point leading, so the spacing
in books always looks ample to me.

Thanks again.

-- Bob G.