From:
Richard Reineccius <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Reineccius <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Mar 2013 08:27:57 -0700
Joyce Carol Oates was interviewed about her latest book on NPR this m

Joyce Carol Oates was interviewed about her latest book on NPR this morning (March 16th)

Quote marks and apostrophes come out strange on the list, so I am replace them with = & - just flip them to vertical.

    Oates spoke of Twain and his writings on human rights in his time:

    =There were people who spoke out against lynching=

    =There were people who spoke our FOR rights of women=

And of course Twain had trouble with the San Francisco Police for speaking out against their brutality toward Chinese residents. Some say he had to leave town for that reason, never to return.

Bernard DeVoto wrote, not specifically about the =Chinamen= issue, but related, re MT-s 2-1/2 years in SF, writing for The San Francisco (Dramatic) Chronicle and other pubs:

    =All the rest of Mark Twain-s books are embryonic in what he had written by December 1866, when he went East.=