Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 1995 15:55:17 EDT
Haymarket riot:  Yes, I belive MT was silent.  He was busy with Conn.
Yankee, ironically.  Howells tried to get Whittier and Gilder (ed of
Harpers, if I recall) to join him, but no one would.  His letter
barely was publ. in the NYTribune--Whitelaw Reid didn't want to pub.
it.  Howells was quite alone.  Terry Oggel  [log in to unmask]