From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Nov 2012 10:06:07 -0500
I think this captures the reason why Degeneres was an appropriate recipient
for this prize. There is a difference between a comedian and a humorist, and
she is the latter. Like Twain, she has delivered her humor in different
media, something that cannot be said for many "funny" people today. The
sources of her humor and her targets of satire are not unlike Twain's. Those
not familiar with her humor may enjoy watching the PBS broadcast. The
radiantly lovely woman with shoulder length blond hair sitting in the 3rd
row, center stage, is my wife. The fellow sitting next to her displaying the
universal sign for choking (but being ignored) is me. I sometimes choke when
I laugh, and some of what got edited out of the broadcast was chokingly
funny. The camera angle (the backs of our heads and some brief profiles) and
bright lighting creates the illusion that I have a bald spot on the back of
my head!

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books