From:
Martin Zehr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 2015 16:25:04 -0600
The link provided by Jerry is to a piece titled "Mark Twain Agrees With
High School Banning of Huckleberry Finn," in which the writer demonstrates
powers of denial, lack of an ironic sensibility, and/or selective editing.
In the same piece there is a link to an earlier article in the Christian
Science Monitor which includes the full statement of Twain's response to an
inquiry by the Brooklyn Public Library regarding the suitability of both
books for children.  In his response, Twain condemns the adults "who not
only permitted, but compelled me to read an unexpurgated Bible through
before the age of fifteen." For those predisposed to a literal
interpretation, I'll be glad to give you a deal on the Brooklyn Bridge...
on, not under, or around, or within.
Martin Zehr
Kansas City, Missouri
Home of the World Series Champion Kansas City Royals