From:
"Harris, Susan Kumin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 2010 09:44:29 -0500
Scott's book has Twain's poem after Jose Rizal, "My Last Thought." I think it's the best of his efforts at poetry, and because it's about the U.S. and imperialism--and because it shows that Twain read at least one translation of Rizal's Noli Me Tangere--there's a lot of meat there for a student project, if that's what you are looking for.  Kevin Bochynski  was kind enough to alert me to it through this forum last year, and I'm really grateful.  It deserves more attention than it's been given.

I'm going to be giving a short presentation on it at ALA.  --skh

Susan K. Harris
Hall Professor of American Literature & Culture
Department of English
University of Kansas
Lawrence, KS 66042