Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2019 19:17:54 +0000
From: Mac Donnell Rare Books <[log in to unmask]>
Sender: Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
I know nothing about Texas steers. In my teens my brother and I broke
wild horses. You tether the horse to a post, hop on, and ride for dear
life until the horse gets used to it (or you get thrown off more than
three times). Horses destined for the glue factory could be bought at
local auctions for $35, and sold for $150 or more after they were
gentled. We quickly got that out of our systems, and after reading about
Texas steers I would not try to break one now at my age.  I can barely
manage my cat, who I would not ride either.

But I would encourage someone to do a statistical analysis on this
piece. The method to be used is the "word length frequency test"--an old
and reliable method that was applied to the Quintus Curtius Snodgrass
letters in 1963 by Claude Brinegar, which disproved Twain's supposed
authorship of those letters.   Cf.  Journal of the American Statistical
Association 58:31 (March 1963). Claude's study was followed up by Allen
Bates in an article in AL (36:31-17, 1964).  Claude died in 2009, a fun
fellow and a brilliant mind. To do such a study you need as large a
control group as possible. The good news there are plenty of
contemporaneous pieces from The Buffalo Express for comparison.

I expect to see a paper on this at Hannibal (if you are really really
fast) or Elmira.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books