From:
Alvin Hutchinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Oct 1994 12:14:19 EDT
Hi all-

I am a librarian at the Smithsonian with a casual interest in Mark
Twain's life and works. I am curious about one aspect of his life and I
thought someone on the list could answer my question:

Does anyone know if Twain ever met Ambrose Bierce while in San
Francisco? I suspect that Bierce was there just after the Civil War,
too, and that being journalists and/or literary types, the two men would
have met at some point. Any ideas? Is there any biographical material
about either man which indicates that they ever met and if so, what they
said to one another?

Just a passing curiosity but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alvin Hutchinson