Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2013 13:56:08 -0800
> > > Beds, chairs, tables, juke boxes, and a variety of objects surface
> every
> > > year with dubious claims about them being owned by Twain, none with
> > > documentation or provenances that jibe with know historical facts.
> > >
> > > I tell you this in confidence.
> > >
> > > Kevin
> > > @
> > > Mac Donnell Rare Books
>
> This reminds me of a remark I heard just recently when  I attended an
event at our local Historical Train Museum sponsored by our Sacramento
Historical Society.  There I met a former Reuter's reporter who also had
worked for our Sacramento Union.  (I'd thought for years that the Mark
Twain bust they'd displayed in their lobby had disappeared, but recently I
learned I was quite wrong.  (I hate when that happens)  It
resides in a museum at UC Davis. )  Anyway, this former Union employee said
that of course Mark Twain had never set foot in the Union building he knew,
but they often would tell visitors interested in the Twain connection,
pointing at an old desk, that it was the one he had used.  I'm going to be
giving a talk in May at our historical society meeting bragging that his
Sacramento Union assignment to the Sandwich Islands launched him into his
lecture career.

--
Arianne Laidlaw A '58