From:
John Huffman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 12:14:44 -0500
"Susy and Mark Twain" by Edith Colgate Salsbury, page 393 reads "Sam: The
authorship of the beautiful lines which my wife and I inscribed upon Susy's
gravestone was untraceable for a time.  We had found them in a book in
India, but had lost the book and with it the author's name.  But in time an
application to the editor of "Notes and Queries" furnished me the author's
name . . . and it has been added to the verses upon the gravestone."  Also,
in "Mark Twain, A Biography" by Albert Beigelow Paine, page 1024 reads
"These lines at first were generally attributed to Clemens himself.  When
this was reported to him he ordered the name of the Australian poet, Robert
Richardson, cut beneath them.  The word "southern" in the original read
"northern," as in Australia the warm wind is from the north.  Richardson
died in England in 1901."

Ruth Davis, Tourist Assistant
Mark Twain Birthplace SHS