From:
SIEWERT WALTER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 1996 18:31:25 +0000
Greetings,

I am a student who has been following the Forum for some time. I
enjoy it very much and have the greatest respect for the scholars who
contribute. I have never before myself made a contribution. But I
have come across something I believe may be of interest.
I am currently studying on exchange in Passau Germany. In
conversation with numerous Germans and also many exchange students
from other EU countries I have noticed a rather interesting
phenomenon.
I have found that the controversy concerning Clemen's Huck Finn and
its racist/nonracist themes is almost nonexistant. Most of the
students I have talked to and some professors view it rather as a very
grown up children's story. They see the story's portrayal of blacks
as still largely caricatured but much more positive than other
literature of the time. They see the text's social criticisms as very
relevant and very advanced for their time.
I have come to the conclusion that this is largely due to their
not being as sensitive to the word "nigger" as most americans are.
 Their reading of thestory could almost be called more objective than an
American's because of the disarming of this emotional charge. And their
 verdict of it seems to me to me to stab closer at the truth than the highly
controversy oriented literary criticisms I have read otherwise.

I can see the many relevant arguments that can be brought to bear
against this conclusion. Such as the fact that since Clemen's was an
American we must read the story in context. To this I repeat the much
uttered fact that we must read it in context time-wise as well as
geographically, and "Nigger" was the going term at the time.

Then one might object that my sources are students and other people
not aquainted with the complexities of this text. I can simply say:
Isn't that whom the story was meant for?

Thank you for letting me take part.
Walter Siewert